October 26, 2010

Community


From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In biological terms, a community is a group of interacting organisms sharing a populated environment. In human communities, intent, belief, resources, preferences, needs, risks, and a number of other conditions may be present and common, affecting the identity of the participants and their degree of cohesiveness.

In sociology, the concept of community has led to significant debate, and sociologists are yet to reach agreement on a definition of the term. There were ninety-four discrete definitions of the term by the mid-1950s. Traditionally a "community" has been defined as a group of interacting people living in a common location. The word is often used to refer to a group that is organized around common values and is attributed with social cohesion within a shared geographical location, generally in social units larger than a household…

Community is a hot word these days. How to build one. This Community. That Community. Hands down we need community. But how do we grow community in our society and can you really foster community? Or is it something that develops on its own? 

While driving down my street I saw a woman and her child walking and I thought to myself "Why don't I know her?". To grow my own community, I try to be on the look-out for anyone who will smile at me while walking with my kids, I take casseroles and cookies to new neighbors and I remember to smile and say Good morning!

In light of this I offer two contests.

Contest number 1: post here your thoughts about community and what you do to help grow your personal community. Winner will be chosen by a random number generator on November 15th at 10:00am. The winner will receive a $25 gift certificate to the local business of your choice.

Contest number 2: design a t-shirt highlighting community. It must contain the words KangaMamas, Rhode Island and Babywearing. You can enter as many images as you like. Email high resolution jpegs to contest@kangamamas.com. Images must be submitted by November 30th.  All images will be posted on our Facebook page and voted on by our members. The image with the highest number of “likes” on December 10th will be declared the winner. The winner will receive a t-shirt and a $25 gift certificate to the local business of your choice.

Good luck!
Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment